Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Paper Route

When my oldest was a baby I decided I needed to be earning some money to help out and saw an advertisement in the local free weekly paper for a driving paper route. It said it took about two and a half hours. I thought that was something that would be perfect and I wouldn't even need a babysitter. So I went and applied. After a very quick interview, I got the job. I had to be in the next small town over to pick up the papers at noon and start my route through the country roads until I got almost back home. It was a great job for a young mother with a small child. I would give him his bottle while waiting for the papers, and then he would sleep nearly the entire route for his afternoon nap and wake up just a bit before it was done.

The best part wasn't the job, the convenience or the money, the best part of my newspaper route was that I met another young mom who thought just like me that it would be a great opportunity for her to make a little money without leaving her baby. We both picked up our papers in the same spot, that is how we met. As we chatted and got to know each other while waiting for the papers to arrive, we realized that we had a lot in common. We made dates to get together with the babies and hang out once in a while. I was so happy to have a friend my age and she had a baby too. Finally someone I could talk to besides my husband. It was great.

Like everything in my life though it was only for a season, when fall started to set in and the weather get colder, I decided it wasn't really something that I would want to do all winter long with a baby in the car. My new friend an I kept in touch for a while and then she moved. I love facebook though because we recently got back in touch through facebook it is great to be able to talk to her again. Now our kids are in college and we have entirely different lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and let me know you were here. Thanks