Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Fawn


One afternoon in the spring I was riding my quarter horse down the dirt road that I lived on and suddenly a fawn jumped out of the woods over the ditch and onto the road. I jumped, my horse jumped and then kind of lowered right back down quickly. I was lucky that she didn't raise up any higher because I would have lost my seat. Then we stood there stopped in our tracks, us looking at the little fawn and it looking back at us. I was so mesmerized by the beauty and unexpectedness of it I just sat there watching and waiting to see what it would do next. I think that the fawn was as curious as to what we would do next just a horse and rider standing silently on the road.

Then suddenly my horse snorted, she was becoming impatient with the whole thing and wanted to get on with our daily stroll. The fawn did a little startled leap and then again leaped over the ditch and into the woods on the other side of the road. Not thinking any more about it we continued on with our walk. We probably walked another 100 yards up the road and the fawn jumped out in front of us again. This time we were not as startled, just a small jump like when your watching a tv show and you know something is about to happened and you don't know when then when it does, you jump. Once again we are standing in the road looking at the fawn and it watching us. We must have looked like quite a strange creature to that fawn, not knowing that we were two creatures. After a minute or so off it went again into the woods and we continued our walk again. We didn't see it again but I will always remember that particular ride.

We took a ride almost every day down that old dirt road and through the woods for nearly two years we even went in the winter and of all those fabulous beautiful rides, this one meant the most to me I'll never forget that little fawn and it's quizzical look as it tried to figure us out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and let me know you were here. Thanks